History of National Pirogov Memorial Medical University, Vinnytsya
VNMU was established when the first President of the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, academician D.K. Zabolotny, raised the question to the Government about the necessity of opening a medical educational institution in Vinnitsa to serve the nation’s needs for health care. VNMU began as Vinnitsa Pharmaceutical Institute (1921-1936), and later became Vinnitsa branch of All-Ukrainian Institute of Extra-Mural Medical Education (1930), and reorganized in 1932 as Evening Industrial Medical Institute with two faculties – medical-preventive and pediatric and in 1934 as Vinnitsa Medical Institute (1934).
In 1960 by the Decree of Presidium of the Supreme Body of the U.S.S.R., the Institute was named after N.I. Pirogov. By 1969, 2,235 students were taught at two faculties of the institute (medical and pediatric), and the faculties increased to 26 doctors of science and 106 candidates of science. In 1984 the Institute was awarded the Order ”Badge of Honour” for success in training doctors and assistance to public health services. By 1988, VNMU elected V.M.Moroz as rector. At that time he was an honored scientist and technologist of Ukraine, a doctor of medical sciences, professor and graduate of Vinnitsa Medical Institute and he has passed all administrative stages at the institute: the secretary of the scientific board, deputy of the dean, dean of the paediatric faculty, pro-rector on teaching — educational work. V.M. Moroz is an organizer, scientist, and tutor, and heads VNMU that had now grown to more than seven thousand personnel. He is instrumental to improve the quality of specialists’ preparation, introduces new educational technologies, modernizes the education base, improves tuition conditions for students and increases compensation for teachers. In 2003 V.M.Moroz was awarded the title Hero of Ukraine.
In 1994 the faculty of Dentistry was organized, and Vinnitsa Medical Institute was accredited as a University on Level IV, the highest level of accreditation by Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine № 408, dated 15.06.94. The Institute was re-named to Vinnitsa State Pirogov Memorial Medical University. By 2000, the faculty of Pharmacy was organized.
By 2002, taking into account nation-wide and international recognition of results of its activity VSMU was awarded National University status by Decree of the President of Ukraine L.D. Kuchma (June 19, 2002, #560/2002), supporting specialities ”General Medicine“, «Pediatrics», «Dentistry», «Pharmacy», “Clinical Pharmacy”, “Medical Psychology.”
University’s milestones of development:
1961 — the opening of pediatric faculty;
1961 — the start of foreign citizens training in the university’s faculties;
1963 — the beginning of publishing the newspaper «Young doctor»;
1979 — preparatory faculty for teaching 230 foreign citizens was opened;
1979 — the opening of the Faculty of doctor’s advanced training and creating its branch – based on medical institutions in Khmelnytsky;
1984 — for outstanding achievements and contributions to the development of higher medical education, the staff of the Institute was awarded the Order «Badge of Honor»;
1990 — scientific research center was organized and equipped with modern computer technology for its interdepartmental use; organization of scientific- educational complexes (morphological, physiological, biochemical), based on scientific research center’s laboratories;
1991 — first among universities in Ukraine Center of new information technologies was founded, it coordinates the development and implementation of new technologies in all spheres of the university’s activity, beginning of the vast introduction of computerization in the educational process;
1992 — reorganization of the medical faculty, training of students for new specialties «Medicine» and «Pediatrics» began;
1993 — signing of the cooperation agreement with the medical faculty of the University of Münster (Germany);
1994 — VSMU was certified and accredited by the IV level of accreditation as a university, which has some autonomy;
1994 — publication license for journals «Journal of morphology» and «Bulletin of Vinnytsya State Medical University», including into the list of publications recommended by the SAC of Ukraine;
1994 — the opening of dental faculty;
1994 — organization at the University of International Academy of Integrative Anthropology, together with morphologists from Russia, Belarus, and Germany;
1995 — agreement on cooperation with Limoge university (France);
1996 — the first visit of the President of Ukraine Leonid Kuchma to the university, meeting with staff members and students, familiarization with the organization of training;
1998 — the opening of the Faculty of doctor’s advanced training, affiliated to the Faculty of post-graduate training with its branch in Khmelnytsky;
1998 — the opening of specialized scientific council D 05.600.01 with the right of presenting theses for Candidate’s and Doctor’s degree in specialties: 14.01.01 — Obstetrics and Gynecology; 14.01.03 — Surgery; 01.14.09 — Pediatric Surgery;
2000 — signing of the cooperation agreement with Vanderbildt and Birmingham University (USA);
2000 — the opening of the Faculty of Pharmacy;
2001 — reorganization of the medical faculty, medical faculties # 1 and # 2 were founded; creation of a new course «Clinical Pharmacy»;
2002 — second visit of the President of Ukraine Leonid Kuchma to the University, meeting with the university staff and signing a decree on granting the highest mark of distinction — the status of National University and changing its name to National Pirogov Memorial Medical University, Vinnytsya;
2002 — the opening of specialized scientific council D 05.600.02 with the right of presenting theses for Candidate’s and Doctor’s degree in specialties: 14.03.01 — Human Anatomy; 14.03.03 — Human Physiology;
2003 — the opening of new specialties — «Clinical Pharmacy» and «Medical Psychology»;
2003 — significant reconstruction of students dormitories on creation in them hotel like rooms;
2003 — award with a special Diploma of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine;
2004 — completion of new academic building construction, organization of work of departments, a research center in it;
2004 — publication license for journal «Biomedical and Biosocial Anthropology», including into the list of publications recommended by the SAC of Ukraine;
2005 — completion of 7 scientific laboratories certification, further widespread adoption of marketing and management requirements in ensuring the effective operation of all units of the university;
2006 – the foundation of medico-psychological clinics;
2006-2007 years — significant widening of integration and international relations in the sphere of scientific cooperation, effective measures for recruiting foreign citizens from the Middle East countries (Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia);
2007 — accreditation of specialty «clinical pharmacy»;
2008 – the joining of «Institute of Rehabilitation of Disabled Persons» as the university’s teaching and scientific-medical complex;
2009 — accreditation of M.Sc. course training in the specialty «dentistry»;
2009 — licensing and increase of intake for postgraduate education;
2010 – dedicated to the 200th birth anniversary of M.Pirogov held V International Congress «Pirogov’s readings» in the framework of which also was conducted the XXII Congress of Surgeons of Ukraine, within 5 days 2173 delegates from 28 countries took part in the Congress.
During this time, new educational buildings were constructed, the university was expanded with 10 new departments in medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, and postgraduate training, and Centers of New Information Technologies and Scientific Research were opened.
Since 2002, VNMU continued to build new facilities, expand its faculties and modernize its education program. These efforts were recognized by the Supreme Council of Ukraine, the Minister of Education and Science, Public Health, the President of the Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine.
VNMU is known nationally and internationally for its high quality of specialist training and was rated by the International Personnel Academy ranking of schools of higher education as one of the best institutions in Ukraine in 1995, 1997, and 2000. For 1997 and 2000, VNMU was determined to be among the best educational medical establishments and was awarded a special Diploma. The goal for VNMU has been to improve its material base, create favorable learning conditions for students, student tutoring, for scientific-pedagogical personnel and to improve methodical-educational and research activity.
At the university function two training forms — full-and part-time.
There are 6 faculties: two Medical (№ 1 and № 2) — training for the specialties of general medicine, pediatrics, medical psychology, Dental – for dentistry specialty, Pharmacy — specialty pharmacy and clinical pharmacy, Faculty of Postgraduate Education provides various forms of postgraduate training of physicians in 33 specialties.
In the faculty of pharmacy organized part-time training of pharmacists.
The University also provides training to licensed admission to higher education institutions of Ukrainians (self-financing courses – intake of 500 persons per year), training of foreign nationals to enter higher education institutions (preparatory faculty for foreign citizens – intake of 500 persons per year), specialized training in medicine (clinical ordinatura) — 1500 persons per year, internship — 2000 people a year and students’ military training program for reserve officers.
Yearly intake for full-time training of specialists and masters is 1740 persons, part-time training in the specialty pharmacy is licensed for 350 persons. Each year all different forms of training cover more than 11000.
At present, contingent of university’s students is as follows (including foreign nationals): students — 6560 (including — 1030 part-time training), interns – 2149 (during 2012), MSc. course PG students — 63, post-graduate students – 110, PG students for doctor’s degree — 1, clinical residents – 103, Faculty of Postgraduate Studies students — 2568 (during 2012).
Today, NVMU has a teaching staff of 812 persons, with yearly enrollment of 4,000 students, including almost 2,000 in postgraduate education, representing specialties: Medicine, Pediatrics, Medical Psychology, Dentistry, Pharmacy, including specialty clinical pharmacy, and Postgraduate Education for physicians in more than 50 specialties. The University also provides preparatory training to help both citizens of Ukraine and foreign nationals enter institutions of higher education.
Since 1961 university trains foreign nationals. Since then, different forms of training covered more than 6500 foreign graduates from 106 countries worldwide. As of 01/01/2013 at the University study 1334 foreign citizens.
University’s structural divisions:
- 6 faculties with 55 departments (39 clinical departments, 16 — theoretical), self-financing preparatory courses;
- center of new information technologies (computer classrooms, TV studio, printing house, office for computer printing, Internet unit);
- scientific research center comprising of 7 research laboratories and experimental clinic (vivarium);
- units for operation of university’s facilities, for creation normal working conditions of university staff members, students living conditions in dormitories, etc.;
- library, 7 licensed laboratories.
As of 01.01.2013, the University staff is 1646. The teaching staff consists of — 812 persons. Now, specialist’s training is carried out at 55 departments, with the competent scientific-pedagogical staff of 120 doctors of science including 75 professors, 17 academicians, and 5 members-correspondents of Academies of Science, 559 candidates of science including 283 associate professors, teachers with no degree — 138. Seven lecturers were given honorary titles of the Honoured Scientist and Technologist of Ukraine, and many of its research workers are laureates of the State Prize of Ukraine. Each year teachers defend 4-6 doctoral and 30-35 candidate’s theses. In 2012 11 doctoral and 113 candidate’s theses were presented.
In 2004 the International links department for recruitment of international students and extension of international collaboration in different spheres of the University’s activity was organized.
University teaching staff cooperates with educational institutions, farmaceutical firms from 13 foreign countries on 9 international and 13 state programs. National Pirogov Memorial Medical University, Vinnytsya engages in technical and scientific-pedagogical exchanges with international institutions, including the University of Alabama at Birmingham, Vanderbilt University, New-Hampshire (USA), Munster University (Germany), Limoge University (France), Russian State Medical University, Scientific-Research Institute of Traumatology and Orthopaedics, Institute of Pharmacology, Saint-Petersburg State Medical University (Russian Federation), Minsk State Medical Institute (Byelorus’), Azerbaijan Medical University (Azerbaijan), and Warsaw Medical Academy, Medical University of Lodz (Poland). University received a grant from Sparkman Fund (State of Alabama — USA) total 2.5 million dollars for research for the seven most relevant for public health areas of medicine for five years. Also adjusted the international scientific cooperation with the departments and laboratories of the medical faculties of universities of Russia, Belarus, Czech Republic, Armenia, Austria, and Great Britain.
Among the graduates of National Pirogov Memorial Medical University, Vinnytsya there are rectors of universities (academician V.N. Kazakov, academician V.M.Moroz, professor V.D. Bilyk, associate professor M.P. Rudyuk), director of Scientific-Research Institute (academician Y.A. Zozulya, Institute of Neurosurgery, vice-president of Ukrainian Academy of Medical Sciences), former deputy minister of public health (professor A.N. Zelinskiy), head expert of the ministry of public health (professor A.I. Treshchinskiy, anaesthesiology and intensive care).
University total area of 80,896 sq. m., of which 41,426 sq. m. is used for learning. These include fully audio, multimedia systems equipped lecture halls (4,944.9 sq.m., seating for 3,327), classrooms with laboratory space (3,193 sq.m.), teaching and laboratory facilities and diagnostic facilities for medical institutions with clinical departments (14,701 sq. m.), scientific research center (1,400 sq.m) and testing clinic (vivarium — 993 sq.m.), library (1418 sq.m.) supporting 550 thousand of books and periodicals and a sports complex (2,225 sq.m.).
Computer park of the university — 780 Pentium personal computers, 680 using for scientific process and training of specialists, and 100 for university staff usage. There are 32 computer classes. At 100 full-time students, there are 14,2 computers, all connected to the Internet, the number of multimedia projectors — 80.
For the introduction of computer technologies in the educational process, research, care of the functioning of local networks is responsible established in 1991, new information technology center, consisting of computer classrooms, TV studio, modern printing house, computer printing office, Internet unit. Information Web-server of the university functions, we also use computer animation.
This specified equipment is used in the work of morphological, physiological, biochemical, educational and research complexes. With the use of the current material base, there were created 39 research and teaching medical centers for implementation in the learning process and medical practice of the modern methods and standards of treatment, diagnosis, and rehabilitation of seriously ill patients.
In 2005, the Diagnostic Center acquired new spiral CT, the center organized the work of the computer diagnostics department. University purchased the unit for endoscopic treatment of patients with urological disorders, modern apparatus for ultrasonic examination (ultrasound-4D), flow-cytometry.
The university complex is adjusted using expensive computer laboratory and diagnostic equipment, units that equipped research center (light microscopes «Leica» with video «Jena», demo nozzle, microscope PEM-100M, ultramicrotome UMPT-4, modern liquid chromatography, infrared spectrophotometer SRESORD 2b / R, immuno-enzyme analyzer STAT FAH 303/RLUS, ultrasound diagnostic apparatus «Ultramark 9», «Toshiba – SSA — 220A, complex analysis of lung function «Medgraphics”, blood analyzer “Autoluzez AL820”, computer complex for ECG analysis, pulsometer etc.).
Clinical departments, which organized training in all specialties located at the bases of specialized departments and centers of 24 medical institutions of regional, urban and other subordination in Vinnytsya, Khmelnytsky and Zhitomir. General beds fund of clinical departments — 7736. In the educational and medical diagnostic process, the university uses 90% of hospital beds of clinical databases. Departments of urban and regional hospitals, clinics, specialized centers equipped with modern laboratory and treatment diagnostic equipment including MRI, CT scans. Clinical bases are also the physical therapy rehabilitation center of the armed forces of Ukraine and the Ukrainian State Research Institute of Rehabilitation of Disabled Persons.
There are two health and sports complexes for 200 people, the total area of their premises 1172 sq.m. (on the Black Sea and the Southern Bug river), sanatorium for 50 persons, medical unit, gym, stadium and sports areas, five student dormitories of the University with a design capacity of 3161 bed- places and one dormitory for faculty of postgraduate education, 5 buffets, student cafes, 4 canteens, which provide the standards necessary for public catering establishments.
Priority directions of scientific activities of the university:
— the national program of disabled persons rehabilitation improvement;
— maternal and child health (prevention of morbidity, disability, and mortality among women and children, create and implement new methods of diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation and study pathogenic mechanisms and perinatal risk factors);
— prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of chronic diseases among different population groups (cardiovascular pathology, pathology of the digestive, respiratory, urogenital system, nervous system, allergic diseases, etc.);
— creation, experimental research, and introduction of new drugs, devices, and appliances.
Special attention is paid to conduct basic fundamental research, namely:
— study of anthropological, genetic, physiological and psychological characteristics of a human organism of different ages (from neonatal to the elderly) to identify markers of multifactorial diseases;
— determine patterns of morphogenesis and pathomorphosis of different origin diseases to develop and improve secondary prophylaxis technologies;
— elaboration of modern medical- prophylactic technologies.
Scientific research also actively take place in:
— scientific research center with the laboratory of functional morphology and genetics and experimental clinic;
— center of new information technologies;
— laboratory of experimental neurophysiology;
— pharmacological experimental laboratory;
— clinical — diagnostic allergic laboratory;
— clinical — diagnostic gastroenterological laboratory;
— bacteriological laboratory;
— laboratory of experimental cardiology.
The above laboratories have been accredited and received certificates.
The University consists of 12 research schools, particularly school of physiologists, anatomists, functional morphology and anthropogenetics, pharmacologists, microbiologists, gynecologists, obstetricians, pediatric surgeons, as well as scientific therapeutic school, the scientific school of experimental abdominal surgery, research school of social medicine, a scientific school of hygiene, research school of clinical epidemiology, nervous systems.
In 2005, teaching staff of the university issued:
Text-books — 15; manuscripts – 10; manuals — 53, guidelines, instructions for practical medicine — 159; guidelines for students — 60; newsletters – 17; collections of conferences materials — 14.
Published scientific articles — 1156, including abroad — 19; Abstracts — 793, including abroad — 73.
VNMU held scientific and practical conferences — 64.
The university issues three professional periodical journals that are included into the list of Supreme Attestation Commission of Ukraine: “Bulletin of Vinnitsa National Medical University”, “Journal of Morphology”, and “Biomedical and Biosocial Anthropology”.
The necessary teaching materials for the learning process are published in the university newspaper «Young Doctor».
The staff of clinical departments in 2005 treated patients -18 766; performed surgeries — 12 248; consulted patients — 187 665, introduced 284 new therapeutic and diagnostic methods, made 975 trips to rural areas, made speeches at scientific conferences — 425; made speeches at meetings of scientific societies — 213.
On the social protection of employees and students in the school implemented:
— timely and regular payment of salaries and stipends;
— payment of rising in wages after award of the national university status;
— use of 50 places in full and at reduced prices in sanatorium and 200 places in university’s health and sports facilities for recovery, rest and treatment of employees;
— free food for orphans students;
— payment of rising in wages for complexity and tension in work;
— according to the law of Ukraine № 1994, dated 09.09.2004 payments for long service and support for recovery while providing annual leave for the period from 01/01/1997 till 01/09/2002;
— bonus for university staff according to the results of the financial year;
— assistance in organizing treatment and purchase of medicines for seriously ill staff and students;
— due to the budget’s special fund, costs of students’ living in dormitories and treatment in the university dental cabinet were subsidized;
— free printing of abstracts, master’s and candidate’s theses in University’s printing house, use of the Internet.
The University has traditions in educational, research activity, an organization of students’ leisure, maintaining of heartly relations with the graduates.